The Very Latest You'd Find At The New Blog!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

In a Matter of Seconds

This week's RemembeRed writing prompt is by Natalie of Mama Track.  The assignment this week is based on rhythm, how we can use it to entertain and engage readers, and if the writer can convey that rhythm using her writing.


In a Matter of Seconds

I watched the hand of seconds go by
Clicking sounds that echoed between four walls.
And remembered the “please oh God, please…”
Click-a-ti-click, click-a-ti…

Breathe in, breathe out
Is it real, is it not?
Don’t say that word I can’t accede
Click-a-ti-click, click-a-ti…

I blinked once, and then twice
Is that hardness in your eyes?
How could things have turned to ice
When fires are scalding me alive?

Click…
I felt my eyes welled up
Click…
I felt my lungs collapsed

I watched the hands of seconds go by
Dull thumps that delivered pounding in my skull
And rendered me impaired with, oh such ease
Click-a-ti-click, click-a-ti…

The slight shake of your head
The shape your mouth makes
No.  Please…
Oh God, please…

I questioned you why; please reply
Did you answer me with a sigh?
We didn’t see eye to eye
You wouldn’t give it another try

Click…
We have to say good bye
Click…
Gone in the blink of an eye

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've taken the Pledge. Have you?